12.24.2007

Celtic Wanna Be Tote


3/9/08 I have made a change to Chart B to accurately represent the pattern. I'm sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused!


Materials: Knitpicks Palette, 1 skein Bark, 2 skeins each Blue Note Heather, Pool, Blue, Sky

Size 7 circular needles
All stitches are knit double stranded, using two strands of the same color yarn.

Body
Cast on 175 stitches with Pool. Place marker, and join, being careful not to twist. Knit two rounds, then begin working Chart A in Pool and Blue Note Heather. Repeat the 6 pattern rounds 4 times, then work round 1 once more (so that you will end with the same round that you started on).
Change to Bark, and knit two rounds.
Change to Blue and Sky, setting the pattern for the middle panel. Work the pattern from Chart B over the first 19 stitches; Chart C for the next 8, Chart D for the next 33 stitches, Chart C for 8, then Chart B (starting where marked) for the rest of the stitches in the round. Place markers between charts if needed.
Change to Bark and knit two rounds.
Change to Pool and Blue Note Heather, working Chart A through once, repeating round 1.

Handle

Change to Bark.

Rounds 1 and 2: knit

Round 3: knit 33, bind off the next 20, knit 66, bind off 20, knit to end of round.

Round 4: knit 33, cast on 20 stitches, knit 66, cast on 20 stitches, knit to end of round.

Rounds 5-9: knit

Round 10: purl

Round 11-14: knit

Bind off all stitches.

Finishing

Fold handle fabric to the inside at the purl row, tacking it down with stitches.

Turn bag inside out, and seam the bottom with mattress stitch. Sew in all ends.

I felted the bag by throwing it into the washer with a few towels and running it on the "warm/cold" setting. I've got a front loading machine, and just let it go through the whole cycle. Once out of the wash, I stuffed it with a plastic case for a drill (hey, you use what works, right?), but plastic bags or other items could be used to help shape it.


Chart A









Chart B

Chart C














Chart D

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice!

dobarah said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

isn't knitpicks palette yarn superwash? how did it work to felt it?
mittz (found this on ravelry)

lisabeedesigns said...

Nope. Palette is most definitely not superwash. From the knitpicks website "Palette is also excellent for very durable socks. Recommended for felting."

You might be thinking of their yarn "Essential", which is another fingering weight yarn that is 75% superwash wool and 25% nylon.

So, all that said, I've found Palette to felt quite well.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the info...i am knitting some estonian mittens out of it, and would hate to shrink them...they're none too large.
i don't know where i got that idea...
mittz

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Is the center pattern (chart D)only on one side of the tote?

lisabeedesigns said...

Thank you!

And yes, Chart D is only on one side.

Kelly said...

I love this bag!! I may have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to male the math work out for the charts. I start with 175 stitches. After doing B19,C8,D33, C8 , B2, I should have left a number divisible by the 14 stitches for chart B so that when I get to the beginning I an ready to start chart B from the beginning again. But it is not working out! What am I doing wrong?

Anita

Achrisvet said...

I am thoroughly confused. Looking closely at the finished bag, it looks like on Chart B you didn't start with row 1. If starting with row 1 and doing 19 stitches of Chart B, that means doing 14 stitches of B then starting the chart over for another 5 stitches, ending with 5 Sky stitches. But the first row in the photo ends with several Blue stitches, and the chart B after the panel begins with Blue, not Sky as it would if I start at the red line in the chart. Can you help me sort this out? I am stuck and confused. Thanks.

lisabeedesigns said...

Thank you guys for your questions. I'm going to try to figure out where the problem lies and post the changes here.

lisa

lisabeedesigns said...

Ok. I made a mistake on Chart B, which should be fixed now.

I'm sorry for the confusion, and I really appreciate the questions!

Please let me know if you continue to have any problems.

You can also email me at lisabee at io dot com.

Achrisvet said...

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it makes sense now.

Mother of Chaos said...

Whoa! Never thought I'd find something THIS gorgeous during a casual "knitting pattern bag" Google search! Beautiful!!